Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2011

Study of Roses from Life.


I recently completed a study from life a vase with roses I initially began the study excited to improve my understanding of drawing from life. My biggest obstacle came from drawing the roses themselves I established the contour forms of the vase and the roses but getting the intricate details of the roses themselves Is what started to throw me off. Things became even more difficult when I established my highlights using the guache. The paint dried to quickly and I was not able to build up to my lights. Next time I will apply a small amount of the material and slowly build up to my lights. Another Issue I came across after toning the watercolor paper is that It came out much darker than I expected I've learned for next time to tone back on the watercolors and keep the values lighter. I am going to do my next study from another Bargue plate to work on accuracy and defining form I will use the canson toned paper 90lb untill I can nail toning the watercolor papers correctly. All In all a good study that I've learned much from, I look forward to the next challenge and to anyone that Is reading this I invite you to open the discussion and send me your thought's and critiques.

The Drawing was done on hot press watercolor paper 12x16 sheet I toned the paper using the following watercolors cadmium red, winsor voilet, and naples yellow. When the paper dried I laid some amber shellac on It for that "old master" look. I then completed the study using wax based pencils and graphite pencils. For the highlights I used gouache Zinc white, and permenant white and I added some naples yellow watercolors for a little bit of tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment